Cigna Health Insurance Coverage for Addiction Treatment
Cigna is a multinational health services company that operates in over 30 countries and serves more than 180 million customers worldwide. Cigna insurance strives to provide outstanding solutions to patients by connecting them with the medical facilities and services they need for wellness.1
This page will provide information on Cigna coverage for substance abuse treatment.
Does Cigna Insurance Cover Substance Abuse Treatment?
Most Cigna plans will provide some coverage for substance use disorder treatment. Cigna plans purchased on the marketplace are required by the Affordable Care Act to cover this essential health benefit.2
Cigna’s substance use benefits are administered through Cigna Behavioral Health.3 Some of the plans that provide substance abuse rehab under the Behavioral Health Program include:3,4,5
- ACA Marketplace Plans.
- Medicare Advantage Plans.
- All plans purchased through an employer.
All Cigna plans providing mental and behavioral health coverage (including addiction treatment) must provide equivalent levels of coverage to what they provide for primary health services. 2 The amount of actual Cigna substance abuse rehab coverage you will have depends on your exact plan policy and tier level; each plan may vary in terms of co-insurance rate, deductible, out-of-pocket maximum, and co-pay amounts.
You can always contact your Cigna administrator to find out the specifics about your Cigna alcohol rehab coverage or drug treatment coverage by calling the number on the back of your card or you can .
Which Types of Addiction Treatment does Cigna Cover?
A range of Cigna-approved rehab treatment programs is designed to assist you wherever you are on your recovery path. Some people may require more intense intervention than others, and some may need longer times in treatment. It’s best to follow the advice of your doctor or rehab support team. Here are some of the treatments that Cigna may cover:6,7
- Medically assisted detox program: This involves the supervision of medical staff and the use of certain medications (if needed) to manage withdrawal safely. This program is a necessary first step for many people to get sober but further treatment (i.e., rehabilitation treatment and therapy) is often necessary for long-term recovery.
- Inpatient or residential treatment program: This live-in level of care requires patients to reside in a residential setting for weeks or months at a time. You’ll have strong support from the therapists and doctors around you, as well as the other patients in the program.
- Outpatient addiction treatment: This lower intensity form of care involves living at home but meeting with a therapist several times a week to discuss ongoing issues and participate in individual and group therapy.
- Partial hospitalization program (PHP): Sometimes called “day treatment,” a PHP is an intensive form of outpatient treatment program offered in a hospital setting. A PHPS offers many elements of inpatient treatment without the requirement of residing at the treatment facility.
Finding the appropriate addiction treatment plan through Cigna is the first step in recovery. Everyone has differing treatment needs; research shows that addiction treatment is most effective when the plan is tailored to an individual.8
Drug & Alcohol Rehab Centers that Accept Cigna Insurance
When searching for a drug and alcohol rehab center, staying within the network of Cigna providers will help you minimize your treatment costs. Depending on your specific plan, going outside the Cigna network may incur higher out-of-pocket costs or your treatment may not be covered at all. AdCare is in the Cigna network, so you can rest easy knowing you’ll have coverage for treatment when you come to us.
Whether you are dealing with addiction to drugs or an alcohol, it’s vital to seek the appropriate treatment that fits your needs. An admissions navigator can answer questions and provide the guidance you need to move forward with treatment at AdCare when you call .
How Much of the Cost does Cigna Cover for Addiction Treatment?
Out-of-pocket costs may vary depending on the type of treatment you receive, the length of your stay, and your exact insurance policy plan. Verify your insurance benefits now to learn more about how your coverage may be applied to treatment at AdCare.
If you’re worried that your insurance plan may not fully cover the cost of treatment, you do have additional options. You can leverage alternative payment options such as:
- Personal loans.
- Flexible payment plans.
- Health insurance credit cards.
How to Use Cigna Insurance for Rehab
It’s easy to get started using your Cigna insurance benefits for rehab. Filling out the online benefits verification tool is the first step in verifying your benefits will cover treatment at AdCare. You will receive an email with results within minutes.
Alternatively, if you would rather speak to a representative, you can contact an admissions navigator by calling .
Finally, you can also access your Cigna benefits by visiting their web portal.
Cigna Addiction Treatment Coverage in New England
The New England area is comprised of 6 states—New Hampshire, Connecticut, Vermont, Maine, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island—all of which face their own addiction issues. For example:9,10,11
- 5 of the 6 New England States are among the top 10 worst states in terms of opioid-involved overdoses per capita, with Vermont ranking 11th.
- Vermont leads the USA in states with the highest percentage of people that drink heavily (9.4%).
- Vermont also has the highest percentage of state residents 12 years old or older that used drugs within the past month (21.13%).
Treatment is vital for those who struggle with addiction to get their lives back on track. Fortunately, AdCare has multiple treatment programs located in Rhode Island and Massachusetts, and AdCare is Cigna’s network.
American Addiction Centers (AAC) is committed to delivering original, truthful, accurate, unbiased, and medically current information. We strive to create content that is clear, concise, and easy to understand.
While we are unable to respond to your feedback directly, we'll use this information to improve our online help.